Object creation in Rhino continues to be enhanced. In Rhino 5 there are dozens of refines to the existing tools, along with a few new commands and new extrusion objects.
- DraftAnglePoint - Places a point object on a surface at a location near the pick point where the surface's draft angle matches the input value. The tool is designed primarily to help draw curves along surfaces where the surface has a given draft angle. Mold makers in particular can use this to mark off the limits of where an object can be cleanly pulled from a mold. They would then build tangent surfaces from the curves to parting plane or surface.
- MarkFoci - Works on open and closed elliptic and circular curves.
- The Length option has direction feedback and a Flip direction option.
- A new GroupOutput option allows grouping of resulting point objects.
- ExtractPt - New OutputLayer option.
- ArcBlend - Creates a blend curve consisting of two arcs between two curves with adjustable endpoints, and with bulginess adjustment, similar to BlendCrv. It it also similar to Convert, using the same method for connecting two points and directions with two tangent arcs.
- ContinueCurve - The curve picks up as if you were still in the original curve creation command.
- ContinueInterpCurve - The curve picks up as if you were still in the original curve creation command.
- ExtractCurvatureGraph - Creates a curve object that is the curvature graph (without the hairs from the curvature graph to the curve). When the curvature graph is discontinuous (the base curve has kinks being one case), the command creates multiple output curves.
- IntersectTwoSets - Variation of Intersect command - allows selecting two sets of objects for finding intersections. The command only find the intersection between the two groups, ignore intersection between objects in the same group.
- TweenCurves - Creates curves between two curves, averaging the parameters of the curves.
- New Length option allows defining an arc by center, start, and arc length.
- New Start, Center, Angle option.
- StartPoint option added in more places.
- UI tuneup for the Start, End, Radius option.
- Length: Added feedback to draw the center, startpoint, and the arc as you pick the length.
- Now accepts negative numbers for the length which also sets the direction in the reverse of the current direction.
- A new Orientation option allows setting the circle plane perpendicular to any picked direction.
- A new Circumference option allows a center and a value for the circumference.
- Added Orientation option after placing the circle center.
- New Area option allows drawing a circle of a specified area.
- 3Point - A new Radius option allows drawing a circle through two points with a defined radius similar to the Arc command Start-End-Radius option.
- The FitPoints option now accepts control points as input.
- Curve, InterpCrv, Polyline, and HandleCurve - New PersistentClose option.
- DupEdge, DupFaceBorder, ExtractWireframe, and ExtractControlPolygon - New OutputLayer option.
- Ellipse - The AroundCurve option now works the same as Circle AroundCurve: The curve gets asked first, and the center second.
- ExtractIsocurve - New Direction and ExtractAll options.
- HandleCurve - New PersistentClose, Close, and Sharp options.
- New PersistentClose option.
- New Free option for start and end tangent direction allows more tangent control.
- Make2D - Speed and accuracy improved. Also, now supports Clipping Planes.
- New Cap option allows offset curves to be connected to each other with straight lines or arcs.
- New InCPlane option offsets parallel to the construction plane.
- When the input was a line, polyline, arc, or circle, the output is now a line, polyline, arc, or circle instead of a NURBS curve.
- OffsetCrvOnSrf - New Number option to specify how any times the curve is offset.
- New behavior. Hold the Shift key to draw a square. This applies to any command that starts with a rectangle such as the Box command.
- The 3Point option is now available after the first corner has been picked.
- CreaseSplitting - By default, when Rhino surface creation commands such as ExtudeCrv, Loft, and Sweep, uses input that has kinks, the result is a polysurface with edges corresponding to the kinks. CreaseSplitting changes this behavior. If the option SplitAlongCreases=No the result is a single surface; if SplitAlongCreases=Yes, a polysurface will be the result.
- TweenSurfaces - Creates surfaces between two surfaces, averaging the surface parameters.
- Extrusion commands now creates the new lightweight extrusion objects when possible to save significant memory and improve display speed.
- New ToBoundary option added.
- New SplitAtTangents option allows creating polysurfaces split at tangent arcs and tangent arcs to lines.
- New SetBasePoint option allows picking two points to specify the extrusion distance.
- ExtrudeCrvTapered - New SetBasePoint option allows picking two points to specify the extrusion distance.
- New SetBasePoint option sets the first point for the extrusion distance.
- A new Tangent option allows the fin to be created tangent to the target surface.
- Heightfield - Most of functionality of MeshHeightField has been merged into the HeightField command.
- New SplitAtTangents option specifies whether resulting surfaces will be one surface or a polysurface if the input curves are joined tangent curves.
- When some, but not all, endpoints of loft shapes touch, the loft type is restricted to Straight or Developable to avoid self-intersecting loops in the resulting surfaces.
- Align curves now always shows direction arrows.
- OffsetNormal - New direction arrows display and a Flip option has been added.
- PlaneThroughPt - Now accepts mesh vertices and control points as input.
- RailRevolve - New SplitAtTangents option specifies whether resulting surfaces will be one surface or a polysurface if the input curves are joined tangent curves.
- Ribbon - New InCPlane option offsets parallel to the construction plane.
- New Simple option has been added.
- New Refit rail option refits the rail curve.
- VariableFilletSrf - New FromCurve and FromTwoPoints options are available when editing handle radius.
- New lightweight extrusion solids save significant memory and improve display speed. Extrusions are automatically promoted to "heavier" solids when used as command input as needed.
- CreateRegions - Expert command. Select a polysurface whose surfaces bound one or more solid regions in space. The command will replace the input with the solid polysurfaces that form the regions. This command is typically used after the NonmanifoldMerge command.
- NonmanifoldMerge - Creates a non-manifold polysurface from intersecting surfaces and polysurfaces. Surfaces are split and edges joined as needed. This generally only useful for export to analysis programs and can cause normal Rhino operations on these objects to fail.
- TruncatedPyramid - Draws a pyramid whose apex is truncated by a plane. Similar to TCone command.
- BoundingBox - New option Output =Solids/Meshes/Curves/None.
- Cone - A new Solid option determines whether the object is created as a solid or open.
- CreateSolid - A new DeleteInput option has been added.
- Cylinder - A new Solid option determines whether the object is created as a solid or open.
- ExtrudeSrf - New SetBasePoint option allows picking two points to specify the extrusion distance.
- ExtrudeSrfTapered - New SetBasePoint option allows picking two points to specify the extrusion distance.
- New Solid option with Corners=Round/Sharp option now creates a solid from the original and the offset surface.
- A new Distance option has been added.
- New DeleteInput option keeps the original object.
- New FitRail option refits input curve.
- Now accepts multiple curves as input.
- New Thickness option sets the pipe wall thickness. Negative numbers make the first radius the outer core.
- History is now supported
- The DirectionConstraint option has been improved.
- New Solid option.
- The last-used number of sides is value is saved.
- New BothSides option extrudes the slab in two directions.
- New InCPlane option offsets parallel to the construction plane.
- Sphere - The FitPoints option now accepts grips as well as point objects as input.
- TCone - A new Solid option determines whether the object is created as a solid or open.
- Now allows typing a height when picking the end of the tube. The sign of the height value determines the tube's direction.
- A new Solid option determines whether the object is created as a solid or open.
- A new WallThickness option has been added for selecting the tube thickness.
- New BothSides option.