More than 25 new commands and major enhancements for working with large teams organize, manage, and administer massive projects and huge files, including:
- 64-bit Rhino allows working with huge files without running out of memory.
- New lightweight extrusion objects save significant memory and improve display speed.
- Double-precision meshes accurately represent and display ground forms such as the 3-D topography of a large city.
- Display speed is improved by taking advantage of faster graphic cards.
- Major enhancement to Layer, Block, and Worksession management. See below...
Major enhancements to layers provide more tools for controlling the look and visibility of objects:
- File names of linked blocks can be presented in the layer list as the parent layer for all the layers in the linked block.
- File names of attached worksession files can be presented in the layer list as the parent layer for all the layers in the attached file.
- Sublayers can now have the same name as sublayers of other parents.
- The On/Off, Locked/Unlocked, Color, and Print Color of worksession reference layers can be changed.
- Right-click context menu in the layer list now includes One Layer On, Expand/Collapse sublayers, Match Properties, Reset Properties, Duplicate Layer, and Duplicate Layer and Objects, Remove Materials.
- Layer list can be reorganized, sorted, and filtered.
- Scripting now supports adding nested layer names, setting Linetype and PrintWidth, and listing, and selecting objects.
- LayerStateManager - Now opens in a tabbed docking panel.
Blocks and linked blocks are important tools for breaking a large project into manageable components. Major enhancements include:
- In-place block editing
- More block management tools
- Better layer management for linked blocks
- Locate linked blocks when a file location changes
- Minimize model file size with linked blocks
- BlockEdit - In-place editing of a block and sub-block. Linked blocks are opened in a new Rhino session. (Note: Double-click a block instance to activate in-place block editing.)
- ExplodeBlock - Explodes blocks and their nested blocks in one step.
- ReplaceBlock - Replaces an inserted block with another block definition using the same insert, scale, and rotation.
- Nested blocks in linked blocks are now only linked, keeping the master file much smaller.
- Linked blocks are now saved with both absolute and relative paths. If a linked block is not found at one of those locations, Rhino also searches the same folder as the current model and the Rhino Search Path. If the file is still not found, a browse option appears.
- BlockEdit - Now displays an error when attempting to edit a linked block in a non-3DM file.
- Optional preview image.
- The number of hidden blocks is now displayed in the dialog.
- Blocks nested in linked blocks no longer appear in the Block Manager list unless requested.
- Count now includes nested blocks.
- An Update Later button has been added.
- URLs are now active links.
- The Select button selects all the instances of the blocks highlighted in the list.
- Thumbnail preview has been added.
- Dialog settings persist.
- Group names increment.
- Layer options control how Rhino manages layer names when Rhino imports an external model.
- Blocks nested in linked blocks can no longer be inserted.
- If a layer is off in the current model and on in the model being inserted, the layer will be turned on in the current model.
- When inserting a .3dm file as a block, if a block of the same name already exists in the model, the block name is incremented.
- An Options button has been added for file types that have import options.
- The dialog shows linked and embedded status.
Rhino 5 has many enhancements that make Worksessions an effective tool for managing files worked on by more than one person at a time, including:
- Layer management
- Locating attached files on the disk
- Layer controls for On/Off, Lock/Unlock, and Color are saved in the worksession file.
- Prompt to Save on exit if there has been a change in a worksession.
- Attached files are now saved with both absolute and relative paths. If an attached file is not found at one of those locations, Rhino now also searches the same folder as the current model and the Rhino Search Path. If the file is still not found, a browse option appears.
- Right-click an attached file in the layer list to show a context menu with all the options found in the Worksession Manager.
- LimitReferenceModel - New RemoveLimits option.
- NamedPosition - Opens a tabbed docking panel.
- Box, Cylinder, Tube, and ExtrudeCrv - By default create lightweight extrusion objects rather than a NURBS objects.
- Purge - Deletes empty groups, and unused linetypes, dimension styles, and materials.